A hairdresser from Newcastle has been crowned North Eastern Hairdresser of the Year 2020 at HJ’s British Hairdressing Awards, sponsored by Schwarzkopf Professional.
Jonathan Turner from hair salon, Hooker & Young in Jesmond, fought off strong competition and stood out from a star-studded line up of the city’s best-known stylists to gain the top spot in this fiercely contended category.
Judged twice by a panel of hairdressing legends and British Hairdressing Awards Hall of Fame members, Jonathan claimed his status as the best hairdressers in the region after showcasing phenomenal original hair work which demonstrated not only technical skill but creative vision and comprehension of current trends.
HJ’s British Hairdressing Awards celebrate the people producing the very best hairdressing work across England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. For the first time in its 36 year history, the ‘Oscars’ of the hair world could not be held in person at the Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel, and instead went live and virtual on Monday 30th November – giving an opportunity to celebrate the success and talent within the industry and share the prestige and excitement of the event to an even wider audience.
Finalists were each given ‘tickets’ for their very own virtual room where they could watch and celebrate with their teams, friends and family while the industry and clients could also show their support by tuning in to a live stream of the event which was hosted by television personality Rylan Clark-Neal on the Hairdressers Journal International Facebook page.
In another first for the awards, the beautiful trophy arrived with the winners the following day, enabling them to continue the celebrations and a chance to get the all-important photo opportunity. Jonathan’s award was one of 18 trophy wins on the night in a line-up of ten regional and eight specialist awards.
Commenting on the win, Jayne Lewis-Orr, Executive Director of HJ’s British Hairdressing Awards said; “A huge congratulations to Jonathan. This win is a phenomenal achievement and career highlight, particularly after the difficulties faced by the industry this year. Jonathan’s hair work demonstrated unrivalled vision, skill and creativity, gaining him recognition as one of the best in the business.
“This year’s British Hairdressing Awards will certainly go down in history as one of the most challenging but rewarding events we’ve ever organised. The fighting spirit of the hair community shone through, despite not being together in person, and the reception from our virtual viewers was truly uplifting. I’m so pleased we had this opportunity to share the achievements of these truly outstanding stylists with all their supporters near and far.”
Delighted with the win, Jonathan said: “Thank you so much! What an amazing finish to such a rubbish year. Five years I’ve been entering and so I can’t believe I’ve won! I had the pleasure this year of seeing the judging and the standard this year was off the scale, so I can’t believe it. I just want to say a massive thank you to Gary and Michael for being amazing mentors and to Michael for taking the pictures, Clare Frith the amazing stylist and Kirstin our make-up artist. I’m over the moon!”
“Sponsoring HJ’s British Hairdressing Awards is a great privilege,” says Julian Crane, Schwarzkopf Professional General Manager UK and Ireland. “In a record year for entries, showcasing the highest calibre of hair work, we have been extremely impressed at the outstanding application of creative techniques.
“The awards are a true celebration of our industry and it is an honour to join Hairdressers Journal International in recognising the very best of UK and International hair talent. I am delighted for Jonathan who should be incredibly proud of his achievement.”
The British Hairdressing Awards have launched the careers of a host of household names: from John Frieda and Nicky Clarke to TV stylists Lisa Shepherd and Andrew Barton.
Specialist Category Winners 2020:
- British Hairdresser of the Year: Sally Brooks, Brooks & Brooks
- Afro Hairdresser of the Year: Rick Roberts, Rick Roberts Salon
- Artistic Team of the Year: MODE Artistic Team, MODE Hair
- Avant-Garde Hairdresser of the Year: Sylvestre Finold, Metropolis Hairdressing
- Men’s Hairdresser of the Year: Andrea Giles & Terri Kay, Mark Leeson
- Newcomer of the Year: Kate Drury, MODE Hair
- Schwarzkopf Professional British Colour Technician of the Year: Clayde Baumann, D&J Ambrose
- Trend Image of the Year: Sharon Malcolm, Sharon Malcolm Hairdressing
Regional Winners 2020
- Eastern Hairdresser of the Year: Lisa Graham & Joseph I’Anson, Mark Leeson
- London Hairdresser of the Year: Daniele De Angelis, TONI&GUY Shoreditch
- Midlands Hairdresser of the Year: Nick Malenko, Royston Blythe
- North Eastern Hairdresser of the Year: Jonathan Turner, Hooker + Young
- North Western Hairdresser of the Year: Marcello Moccia & Karen Perry, Room 97 Creative
- Northern Ireland Hairdresser of the Year: Julie Cherry, Shane Bennett Salon
- Scottish Hairdresser of the Year: Dylan Brittain, Rainbow Room International
- Southern Hairdresser of the Year: Thomas Hills, TH1 Hair
- Wales & South West Hairdresser of the Year: Craig Chapman, Craig Chapman Salon
- International Collection of the Year: Silas Tsang, Blushes
Hall of Fame 2020: Winning the same category three times:
- Mark Leeson, Mark Leeson
- Martin Crean, MODE Hair